BASIC APPLE PIE RECIPE
This is my mom’s recipe for apple pie (I’ve even successfully made it a few times!) You can make the crust or you can use a premade one.
CRUST (recipe makes one double crust):
2 1/2 cups white flour
2 tbsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup cold butter, broken into small pieces
5 tbsp. cold vegetable shortening
8 tbsp. ice water
- Measure the flour, sugar and salt togetherl. Stir to combine.
- Add the chilled butter pieces and shortening to the bowl. Cut them in with a pastry cutter or knife. Don’t over mix them.
- Add the ice water. Mix until the dough holds together (add a bit more water, if necessary).
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface, knead it together, then divide in half.
- Flatten each half into a disk, wrap in saran wrap and chill for at least half an hour.
- Roll out one of the disks on a lightly floured surface until you have a circle that’s about 12 inches in diameter.
- Put the circle in a 9″ pie plate, trimming any extra dough from the edges with a sharp knife (parents only). Return it to the refrigerator until you are ready to make the pie.
- Add filling (see below)
- Roll out the second ball of dough and cover top. Use a fork or your fingers to pinch the edges together. cut a couple slits in the top.
1/3 to 2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch of salt
8 medium sized apples (a medium apple = about 1 cup)
2 tablespoons margarine
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Peel, core and slice the apples. Try to keep the size of the slices even.
- Mix sugar, flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt in large bowl.
- Stir in apples.
- Pour into pastry-lined pie plate.
- Dot with margarine.
- Cover with top crust and seal the edges. Cut slits in the top.
- OPTIONAL: Cover edge with 3-inch strip of aluminum foil to prevent too much browning.
- Remove foil during last 15 minutes of baking.
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until crust is brown and juice begins to bubble through slits in crust.